Follow this dog-friendly birthday cake recipe for a pup-pleasing dessert.
It’s your best bud’s birthday, so naturally you want to celebrate them with a sweet treat! Regular cake has too much sugar and other troublesome ingredients for the average pup, so we recommend whipping up a cake that’s all their own. Follow this dog-friendly birthday cake recipe for a pup-pleasing dessert.
Peanut Butter Banana Dog-Friendly Birthday Cake
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs (or sub for 2 flax “eggs”)
- ⅓ cup unsalted and unsweetened peanut butter (Make sure to check your peanut butter and confirm there is NO xylitol. Xylitol is toxic to dogs.)
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1-1 ¼ cups flour (can sub oat flour)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Generous pinch of baking powder
This dog-friendly cake recipe fits perfectly into a 7x10 bone shaped cake pan, but will also work for around a dozen cupcakes.
1. Mix the wet ingredients together and then add your dry ingredients. Mix until well combined, the batter will be a thick dough.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the Frosting:
The cake should be completely cooled before frosting. Plain unsweetened greek yogurt, raw goat “whip”, pumpkin puree or even applesauce would work well for the frosting. Top the cake with crumbled Sundays for the sprinkles and any other dog-safe toppings that your dog enjoys!
Note: Serving size will depend on your dog’s size, health and activity level, but the cake should be around 12 servings. If your dog tends to swallow things whole, break up the cake or cupcake into smaller bites.
Did you know that Dogust, held every August, is the univeral birthday month for shelter pets who might not have their actual birth date known? Learn more about Dogust and events that support shelter pets this month.