Can Dogs Eat Green Grapes? The Risks of This Fruit

Green grapes pose a severe risk for dogs and can lead to kidney failure and death. Find out what science says about the dangers of green grapes.

It’s normal to want to share the foods you love with the pup you love, but not every food you eat is safe for your dog to eat. 

Some foods can cause irritation and discomfort for your dog, while others pose dangerous risks of toxicity. So, how can you know which foods are safe for your dog and which foods aren’t? Our resources help break it down.

This guide explores whether or not you can give your dog green grapes, the risks of this fruit, and everything else you need to know about keeping your pup safe.

Read on to learn more. 

The Risks of Green Grapes

Can dogs eat green grapes? While there are some fruits and vegetables that are safe for your dog to snack on, green grapes are not one of them. 

Green grapes pose a severe health risk for dogs, so it’s critical to keep this treat away from your pup. 

According to the ASPCA, green grapes and raisins pose a severe toxicity risk for dogs and can lead to kidney failure and even death. 

However, the reason for this toxicity is unknown. Scientists aren’t sure which component of grapes causes kidney failure or toxicity. 

Is Even One Grape Okay For My Dog?

The number of grapes necessary to cause harm isn’t known and varies on a case-by-case basis. 

Depending on the size of your dog and how many grapes they’ve eaten, they may or may not show symptoms. 

One dog may be fine after eating three or four grapes, while another may show severe reactions after eating only one. 

For this reason, it’s best to keep grapes far away from your dog. 

What About Other Kinds of Grapes?

Green grapes are toxic for dogs and can pose a severe health risk, but are grapes of other colors safe? 

The answer is the same for all types of grapes, no matter what color they are. 

Grapes, in general, are toxic for dogs, so it’s important to keep red grapes, purple grapes, seedless grapes, and all other types of grapes away from your dog. 

The same goes for raisins, as these are simply dehydrated grapes. 

Is Grape Juice Dangerous for Dogs?

Researchers haven’t determined the source of toxicity for grapes. While it could be that the skin surrounding grapes is what harms dogs and not the flesh itself, researchers are not positive. 

So, giving your dog grape juice or wine is generally not recommended. 

In addition, most types of grape juice contain added sugars that can lead to canine obesity and tooth decay. Sugars also can cause an imbalance in your dog’s diet. 

As far as hydration goes, your dog only needs water. 

Is Grapeseed Oil Dangerous for Dogs?

While more research is necessary to determine the part of the grape that is toxic for dogs, grapeseed may not pose harm to your pup. 

Many dog parents have used grapeseed oil in their dog’s diets successfully to provide them with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. 

There are many alternative sources of fatty acids that you can incorporate into your pup’s diet, like wild salmon oil and flaxseed. 

Are you looking to find a dog food that contains all the fatty acids your pup needs to thrive? Take a look at our healthy ingredients here

If you’re considering giving your dog grapeseed, it’s important to talk to a trusted veterinarian who can help you weigh the risks and benefits. 

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Green Grapes

It’s no secret that dogs find ways to eat what they’re not supposed to. Whether you accidentally spill a few grapes on the floor or leave an open container on the counter where a larger dog can access it, it’s possible for your dog to eat grapes without you feeding them grapes.

So, what should you do if your dog eats a few grapes?

Here’s what you need to do:

Contact Your Vet

First, stay calm. If you catch it early, you will likely be able to give your dog the help they need. 

If possible, contact your vet right away to give your dog medical attention. If your vet’s office is closed, they will have directions to an emergency care facility. 

While you’re waiting or traveling to the emergency facility, you can call the Animal Poison Control Hotline, which can help navigate you through what to do. This hotline is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. 

When you contact your vet or the Poison Control Hotline, there are a few things you can do to help your pup. 

If you catch it early enough, you may be able to physically remove the grape from your pup’s stomach by making them vomit. If you notice difficulty breathing, do not attempt to induce vomiting.  

Signs and Symptoms To Look For

If your dog has consumed a grape, it’s critical to find medical attention right away. 

In the meantime, pay attention to your dog’s behavior and watch out for any symptoms, including:

  • - Diarrhea

  • - Difficulty urinating

  • - Stomach discomfort and pain

  • - Weakness or fatigue

  • - Vomiting 

When you call the vet or take your dog to the emergency facility, this information will help the medical professionals know how to care for your pup. 

Once you arrive, medical professionals may perform a number of procedures to stabilize your dog. They may induce vomiting, pump their stomach, or perform renal support for their kidneys. 

Grape Safety Tips for Pup Parents

As a dog parent, it can feel overwhelming to make sure your pup stays away from dangerous foods. 

If you have kids in the house or other family members, make sure everyone knows which foods to avoid giving to your pup and which foods, like grapes, to be especially careful with. 

It’s also important to pay special attention to your dog’s behavior and find medical help immediately if you notice any of the signs and symptoms of toxicity. The earlier you’re able to catch it, the more help you’ll be able to give your pup. 

Dog parenting isn’t always easy, but our resources can help! Take a look at our blog here to learn more about how to become an awesome dog parent.

Try Healthy, Easy Sundays